History of West Memorial Park
West Memorial Park was started on February 28, 1893, by five men when they purchased ½ acre of land for cemetery purposes. These men designated Frank Roberts as manager and the cemetery was sometimes referred to as “Roberts Cemetery”. By 1920 West Funeral Home, of which Frank Roberts was a partner, took over the management and care of the cemetery as a public cemetery. Glen West, Sr. began buying adjoining land for enlargement of the cemetery, currently known as West Memorial Park.
In 1985, Gary & Vicki West had funds set aside with the North Carolina Cemetery Commission so that the cemetery could become a perpetual care cemetery. Currently the cemetery consists of 9 acres of developed land and 5 undeveloped acres. West Memorial Park is a member of the North Carolina Cemetery Association and the International Cemetery, Cremation and Funeral Association.